Pages

Monday, August 14, 2017

Thoughts on Fitness & Fitness Junkie

Here are my health and fitness routines as told by memes:






Can anyone else relate? ;)

    A healthy lifestyle has never been an easy thing for me to maintain. I never have enough discipline. I would rather eat the cookie/brownie/pie. Vegetables just aren't priority in our house. My husband and I go on regular bike rides but we do it because it's something we enjoy together, not because we're trying to lose weight.

    I confess these things because I can relate to the main character in Lucy Sykes and Jo Piazza's newest book Fitness Junkie. Janey Sweet is the CEO of the popular and thriving wedding dress company, B. When her childhood best friend and business partner, Beau, says that she must lose weight or lose her job, Janey initially thinks he's crazy. But before she knows it, she's sucked into the world of bizarre exercise routines, crazy fad diets, and some strange New Yorkers.


    What's great about this book is its commentary on today's health and fitness industry. I loved the way it poked fun at the levels of "health" people will go to in our culture. While some of the characters and situations were rather extreme, I thought there was definitely truth to be found. I mean, we all have those Instagram friends who clearly spend more time photographing their avocado smoothies than actually eating them, right? It was interesting to see how the various characters achieved their version of health and how they all reacted to the pushes and pulls of the behaviors around them. Some were hesitant. Some were desperate. Some believed in what they were doing wholeheartedly. Some were total fakes, and others just did what they felt they had to do.

     For a long while I was unsure where the plot was headed in this story. There were a lot of different directions I could see it taking and I have to say I was surprised at how much of a punch the ending packed in. Regardless of the sometimes implausible plot lines, I think the overlying message of self acceptance is one we could all stand to hear.

4/5 Stars

No comments: