Pages

Saturday, August 19, 2017

On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness (not on the edge of my seat)

    I had heard great things about Andrew Peterson as a musician and writer from my brother and sister and law. When the Wingfeather Saga was recommended on the What Should I Read Next podcast to kids who love Harry Potter, I immediately put a hold on it at the library...I mean we're all looking for Harry Potter read-a-likes, am I right?

    I think for those reasons I had really high expectations for this story, and that's why it kind of disappointed me. But before you cross this one off your to-read list, let me tell you that I actually do plan on reading the next book in the series. Though it didn't leave a great first impression on me, On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness set the series up for what I hope to be an exciting ride. And with the right audience, I think there's potential.


    Janner lives in Glipwood with this mother, brother (Tink), sister (Leeli), and grandather (Podo). Their little town sits between the Dark Sea of Darkness and the sinister Glipwood forest and is overseen by the mean and nasty Fangs of Dang (stationed there when horrible Gnag the Nameless took over the continent in a quest to conquer High King Wingfeather). As the oldest child, Janner feels the strong burden to protect and watch out for his siblings. It is this responsibility, along with his natural curiosity, that brings Janner to the conclusion that his mother and Podo must be hiding something important from him about the past. What could they be keeping secret and what does it mean for their family and for the world as they know it?

    It was hard to summarize this story for one of the several reasons I did not like it...there were so many weird names! I suppose that makes it more fantastical, but I thought it was confusing. What disappointed me the most was how the first three chapters set up an interesting world and backstory, but after that it all just kind of fell flat. I had assumed going into this story that there was going to be an epic journey or adventure (perhaps because the summary on the back of the book says "this epic adventure"???). Instead it was more about three siblings who kept getting into trouble in town and then someone coming to their rescue. In fact, it seemed to me the only purpose the character of Leeli served was to get captured and then rescued. I got bored. Every so often interesting bits and pieces of that world and backstory would make their way in and then it got boring again...until the very end when it really did get interesting. I won't spoil anything, but twist at the end is what makes me want to read the next book.

   I think the right audience (middle grade readers) would probably gloss over the grievances that I have and might really like it. The quirky names, and funny situations will make them laugh. There's lots of action and likable characters. Themes like courage and sacrifice, as well as greed and grudges make for good conversation after reading.

    I'm holding out hope for North! or be Eaten, but I can't say I'm going to rush to read it soon.

3/5 Stars

No comments: