Pages

Monday, January 1, 2018

Castle of Water is a Breath of Fresh Air

    This book was truly just what the title of this post says. It was the book I didn't know I wanted. It was so good. Sidenote: I listened to the audiobook and it made a fantastic audiobook! I always do something else while I listen to audiobooks (cook, clean, fold laundry, etc.) and let me tell you, I was finding all kinds of things to clean around here just to have an excuse to listen to this book.



    Castle of Water by Dane Huckelbridge is about Barry and Sophie. Two very different people who find themselves stranded on a small deserted island together after their plane goes down. They have one thing in common: survival.

    Something I really liked about this book was the point of view. The third person omniscient narrator really stood out to me. Perhaps it was because of the chapters here and there about Barry and Sophie's pasts or the people and circumstances that led up to the crash. It was such an interesting way to tell a story.

    I also liked how realistic the author made everything on the island to be. Making one of the main characters an architect was such a brilliant idea. And can we talk about Barry's contacts? How many desert island movies have we've seen where a character can't survive because they lost their contact lenses? Um, none! Nobody writes that into a story even though it's the truth! I AM BLIND WITHOUT MY CONTACTS. I would surely die if I had to survive on an island without them. I also loved the lengths each character went to for each other's birthdays. So creative and slightly Gilligan's Island, but still believable!

    I just totally fell in love with these characters, their relationship, and even the island itself. The only thing I didn't like, I can't talk about here without spoilers, but I seriously just sat on my couch with my jaw dropped for 15 minutes straight listening to it. Please, do yourself a favor and pick up this book!

5/5 Stars

No comments: